Toasting the town...


I have a huge liking for food and eating - I'm not sure if something that you need to do every, single day can be a hobby, but food is my hobby. I read and write about it, talk about it, dream about it and have fun with it.


I often think about what 'direction' this blog should be taking. Over time, I've realised that I'm not huge on getting my camera out in a restaurant, asking everyone to stop eating and then trying to take notes (mental or otherwise) about what everyone ordered, how it tasted etc. Once I've read the menu and decided what to eat, I'm far more interested in the company and conversation, and in most cases the wine and beer, than worrying about taking numerous pictures.

For me it's all about the experience, rather than the minute details. And honestly, I feel much more comfortable taking photos in the comfort of home (mine or yours).

Having said that, this post is about one of my last nights in Sydney, which was at the Bangkok Sidewalk in Kirribilli.

Jodie and I discovered the restaurant completely by chance one night on our way to the theatre. That evening we ate in a hurry, just before the show.


For our second visit however, we allowed plenty of time. After a few drinks a pub nearby, we were ready.
For entree, we decided on spring rolls and corn and tofu fritters. Both were delicious - the spring rolls in particular, as they were different to the squat cabbage and carrot filled numbers you would normally expect. These were delicate, thin and flavoursome.

Entree - corn and tofu fritters and spring rolls

Ordering mains was a no brainer. Jodie thought back to the melt-in-your-mouth Massamun Lamb Shanks she had the first time. The portion was huge (more than enough to share) and come with loads of sauce and delectable, thai roti for soaking it up with. The sauce and roti combo is unbelievable.


Massamun Lamb Shanks - super tender meat, fantastic sauce, love the roti.

The shanks were accompanied by a clear sauce served in a bowl with chopped chillies, finely diced red onion and cucumber and a full clove of garlic. We still haven't worked out where it fits in... but it sure is pretty and from the finger dip taste test - sweet!


A pretty, clear sauce with no clear purpose.

I didn't think twice about the Pad Thai. I know - not very adventurous but here, I really liked the way it was presented. The noodles are encased in a thin 'net' of egg. And as far as Pad Thai goes, this one is great - just enough sour, sweet and salty.


Pad Thai - that's an egg noodle 'nest' they're enclosed in.

Of course, this wasn't enough (it really was, but we were having too much fun) so we also ordered the King Prawns with green vegetables. Again, a generous serve. The grilled king prawns, skin on and the green vegies are stir fried with oyster sauce.


King Prawns + Green Vegies = no room at the table. Or for dessert.

At this point the small table was groaning under all the food and we were borrowing stools from tables nearby, so as not to place our wine on the floor.
But not a thing went to waste - we sat in the restaurant until we finished every morsel and staff started closing the restaurant around us.

Full and satisfied, a walk was in order. We headed towards the harbour and found a great little spot with a bench near the water's edge. The bridge was directly above, the Opera House twinkled from across the way and the ships and ferries sailed past.
It was the perfect spot to soak in Sydney and with wine left over from dinner, to toast the town and say farewell.

Bye for now...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Bangkok Sidewalk. I can't can't believe you didn't order the pineapple rice served in a scooped out pineapple shell. I order it every time. But the pad thai looks interesting. Might have to give that one a go next time.

Did you walk past Stir Crazy? I always have a hard time walking past and not stopping. It's so cosy and atmospheric.

natalia

Spoon Fork Knife said...

Oh my, pineapple rice? Didn't see that on the menu. Definately next time...

Have had take away from Stir Crazy - love the cute little bags they give out. But haven't eaten in the actual restaurant. Every time I've gone past, it's always been really busy and packed.

If I remember correctly, that's how Jodie and I chanced upon Bangkok Sidewalk - Stir Crazy was too busy. Or they had a tiny table left outside... one of the two.

Unknown said...

I love the title of this post and the last sentence... Beautifully said... Just recently we went to Stir Crazy - it was very cosy and food was interesting and tasty, but Bangkok Sidewalk is definitely on our list to visit! Just waiting for your discovery around Melbourne. D