For some time now, The B and I have been cutting back on carbs. We’re eating a lot more salads and meat, which is fine and tasty… but it does leave one predicament. It can get tiresome eating lamb cutlets (the B’s favourite) and steaks all the time. So, I try and come up with something a little more exciting.
I was thinking about ways of serving up more vegies and meat and remembered stuffed capsicums. I came across this recipe which became the base for tonight's dinner. A very loose base, I might add, because although I had read it before I went to the shop, I forgot to buy half of the required ingredients. And also, when I was cooking, I cut out a few steps. The result was still pretty great.
Stuffed Capsicums - My Way
(serves 4)500g lamb mince
1/2 cup pine nuts
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbs tomato paste
3 shakes of paprika
3 shakes of rosemary
1/2 cup fresh herbs (I used basil, parsley and chives)
2 medium capsicums, washed, deseeded and halved length ways
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until well combined (it’s very tricky, this recipe!).
3. Spoon the meat mixture evenly between the 4 capsicum halves.
4. Place on a baking tray, then into the oven for about 20-25 mins. I determined doneness when the middle was clear of pink).
5. Serve up nice and hot with a salad (ours was mixed leaves, tomatoes, alfalfa sprouts and bacon with Paul Newman’s Caesar dressing. The dressing deserves a post of it’s own, so stay tuned).
3 comments:
Lambsicum - how clever! Good autumn food! With glass of red.D
I'm not a huge meat eater but damn that photo just set my stomach growling.
I just ripped out a recipe from a mag for stuffed capsicums but replace meat with ricotta and spinach. I’ll give it a go and report back to you. I’m usually starving by dinner time so anything that requires baking is usually left for the weekend.
x Natalia
Mmm, ricotta and spinach is a tops combination. I've been craving it stuffed into large pasta shells, then smothered in a tomato based sauce, covered with cheese and baked until golden and crunchy. Yummo.
Funnily enough, I've got a couple of quick, vego mid-week dishes pending posting. I'll get right on that!
Post a Comment